Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Letter from Elder Meyer: Yap Island has 3 baptisms coming up, Someone has miracle experiences with prayer

Hello Everyone,

Sorry that I didn't get to email on Monday. President Mecham was here are we had a District Conference and a Zone Conference on Monday. It took almost all day and then President Mecham wanted to go teaching with us. We had appointments on Tuesday that we couldn't move so here I am, Wednesday emailing. I hope you guys were not too worried. This could happen from time to time, just so you know.

District Conference on Yap Island : October 2012

Question from Dad:


Question #1:  Would you share your feelings about Jesus Christ?  I’d be interested in hearing what you might say to someone you are teaching.

Answer: If you were talking to someone I would just testify to him that He is our Savior and Redeemer. He came to this earth to atone for our sins. Yours, mine, everyone's.  Jesus Christ loved us so much that he literally died for each of us. He knows what we are going through. He has been through it. We can always rely on Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father to be there for us. They will never, not care about us. Through and only through our Savior Jesus Christ can we become clean from all our sins, and be able to live with our Father in Heaven again.


Question from Elder Meyer:


Will you ask Jeff Hicks who the people are in the first picture? That would be great. I think I know who they are. Also, you can tell him that I would imagine that life is probably about the same. The airport is a lot nicer now that the old one. I have driven on the old one it is pretty short.   [Note: Jeff Hicks, who served as a missionary on Yap Island back in mid 80s wrote Elder Meyer a letter and sent a few pictures of people back then.]

Question from Mom:


Question #2:  Did you get a package from the Woods family? Sister Woods told me that her family sent you a package and letters.

Answer: Yes I did get theirs and yours. Please thank them so much for me. I forgot to write down their address before the box was thrown away, would you please get it for me.

Question #3:  Share a time when you felt the spirit this week

Answer: When A*g*stine shared his testimony with us. He is an investigator that is being baptized on Saturday. I will explain more down lower.

Question #4: Tell about any successes you had in finding this week.

Answer:  Let’s see. We went down a road in Fanif. The first two houses nobody was home, next two houses they didn't want to talk to us. Finally we found a house. S*l*na and L*v*na lived there. We started talking to them. We shared the Restoration with them. They seemed very interested. It was a very good lesson. We are going back on Friday to share about the Plan of Salvation.

Elder's serving Colonia area on Yap Island : Oct 2012



Question #5: Tell me how you study the scriptures - by topic, cover to cover,  Or ??

Answer: Well, it depends on who I am studying for. Right now, if I am studying for me, I am reading Jesus the Christ cover to cover. I want to read all the standard works and the Missionary library at least once on my mission. So I will do that for a little while in the morning. When I am studying for an investigator I will study by topic of what we are going to teach them that day. So I guess I study both ways. Sometime I am going to study about Adam and Eve. I have and interesting question that I am thinking about. I even asked President Mecham about it. Maybe you guys have an answer. Well, all of God's commandments are possible for us to keep. 1 Nephi 3:7, well, how could Adam and Eve keep both of the first two commandments given to them, multiply and replenish the earth and don't eat of the fruit? President Mecham directed me to Alma chapter 12, I believe.


Question #6: How are the youth doing at church?

Answer: They are doing pretty good. There are a lot more youth down in Colonia than Thol. Something that I really hope will happen for them is to have a Sunday school teacher just for the youth and not have them sit in with the adults. That is one of my goals for the ward. Hopefully things are going to start moving because we just got a full district presidency and now the branch president should have a counselor. The youth are great though. There are about 10 active goers to seminary. So that is great. Oh about seminary, Elder Garrett is worried about losing the youth because they are not always very engaged. I told him to email you and dad. I gave him both of your emails. Just so you can think about what to tell him. I told him about RED Read Every Day and a piece of Candy.


Question #7: Tell me something you wish you had done different to prepare for your mission.

Answer: It would be go over all of the scripture masteries and more scriptures to know where different points of the gospel are talked about. I have a hard time remembering where scripture versus are.


Question #8:  At church, what do you do, talk, teach?

Answer: Right now I have not done either of them in this branch. There are a lot more members down here, so I haven't talked yet, Elder Richardson has taught a couple of lessons.


Staheli

Hey Staheli. How are you doing? How is work going? Just curious about what is going on in your life all the way in Reno.

Reed

No machete yet. I will get you one, sometime I promise. I will try and get you one for Christmas. That is cool that you are ahead in history. It sounds like you are doing a little bit better. That is awesome man.

Grandma

I got your letter. I am not sure what you can send me. I would just talk to my mom. She has always done a good job.


To Everyone

So this Saturday we are going to have 3 people baptized. A*g*stine, D*v*ne and Ann**. We are going to see if you can get S*m (the youth from Thol) to baptize D*v*ne, she is his cousin. Also, to get Arv*n, a member here in Colonia to baptize A*g*stine. They are friends.

Yesterday when we were teaching A*g*stine, he shared a couple of stories about a prayer that he had. First, his family was almost out of water. He told his family that he was going to pray. He did. It started to rain. They once again had water. His kids thought he was amazing. Second, this was a while ago. He was very drunk. All he had to eat and drink in a couple of days was beer. At some point he started to shake. He really thought he was going to die. He started to pray. He asked God to send someone to his house with food. He repented of the things he had done wrong. He ended his prayer. Someone came to his house right after that, and had food. He knew right there and then that he had a Father in heaven that cared about him and wanted him to stay alive. He got very teary eyed. It was an amazing story. I was so glad that he got to have and experience like that. It was so great. I am so excited for him and the others to be baptized on Saturday. A*g*stine has changed so much since the first time I met him. You can tell that he has found Christ and wants to do everything he can to become like Him. He has had a lot of Word of Wisdom problems. As of right now, they are all cleared up. It is so great. 

President Mecham and Elder Richardson gave us some training on Monday. As always, it was great. They talked about finding. And how we can improve our efforts, and that if we have a couple of minutes to just go finding. It was great. President Mecham is very enthusiastic about the work. Nothing on Yap has happened for a long time. Well he now has high hopes for Yap. Things are starting to move here now. It is great.

I told him my Yap Book of Mormon story and asked how he knew to send me here. He said that he has everyone's pictures on the wall and where they are at. He moves them around until it feels right. He said the Spirit just directs him on what to do. He said that if he would have known that I wanted to come to Yap, that he would have probably sent me somewhere else because missionaries don't choose where they serve. So the spirit must have been involved.

Well, I love you all so so much.

Elder Meyer.

A turtle they found



No comments:

Post a Comment