Sunday, June 9, 2013

Letter from Elder Meyer: Confirms that he has been injury free (Q7). Cars held together with rope (Q10). Rain, rain, rain, and more rain (Q11). Huge fire.

Hello Everyone,
Not a whole lot new here. Things are still going pretty well here.

Dad

Cutting down banana trees

Prep Day

Question 1:  How are things going with your missionary companion?

Answer: Things are great. We get along really great. Elder Hatch is kind of like a brother. So it is fun. Not quite as good as Reed, of course.

Question 2: My birthday is coming up this next Monday… I can’t think of a better gift from you than the one you are now giving; basically being worthy to serve the Lord and loving every minute of it.  So my question is… do you actually love every minute of it?

Answer: Of course. I really love being here. This really is where I am supposed to be. I love the people here and I love testifying of Christ. Words can't describe how much I love my mission here on Yap

Question 3: Today we talked about temples during Sunday school. When you talk to people about them, what do you typically teach/say?

Answer: They are a House of God. There is a special spirit that only exists in the temples. I will talk about sealing families together for eternity. And share a little bit about my experience that I had with the temples.

Question 4: When someone passes away, is there certain traditions on the island that are followed?

Answer: There are some traditions. The funerals last for about a week. Then they bury the body. If the body is outer island, they send the body to his home island.

Question 5: Have you learned anything really interesting this week during your scripture study?

Answer: Did I tell you that I learned that Christ didn't go to the spirit prison. He went to the spirit paradise and organized groups to go down there… D&C 138.

Question 6: Reed will have his own driver’s license this week, any suggestions or advice to share with him?

Answer: Don't get in the crash!! Just be safe and don't do dumb things no matter what your friends say to do.

Question 7: Have you ever gotten hurt or injured, and didn’t want to tell us until you get back home?

Answer: Well, I am not sure how to answer that. If I didn't want to tell you, why would I tell you now?? But honestly, I have not gotten hurt at all.

Yap District

Mom

You don't need a piece for veil. It is not big deal. I will just describe that to them. As far as I know, there is no word for that. As for the earthy man, you can put DOWEF. It means body. I love all the pictures by the way. I save them all on my hard drive. That is really cool about the temples. I have not heard about the temple recommends for the youth here. I hope word will get out here and they will start doing it. I will do my best to encourage it.

Question 8: Do you get church magazines on Yap?

Answer: Sometimes. Elder Tueller tries to bring them with him from Guam, but it doesn't always happen.

Question 9: Tell about one thing that made you laugh this week.

Answer: At the youth activity, all the elders showed up because we were going to have a small birthday party for me, but then no youth showed up, so we just at the cake. It was pretty funny. I blew up all the balloons.

Question 10: Describe driving on Yap.

Answer: It is very slow. A lot of cars here are being held together with rope and other random stuff. So they all drive slowly. Also, it is not the safest thing. People here don’t really understand the laws of driving. It is fine. I am just a defensive driver and stay alert.

Question 11: Are you in a rainy season or dry season?  Can you tell the difference?

Answer: Rainy season. Yes. It rains so so so so much more now compared to on mother's day.
[Note from Dad: It is supposed to rain over 55 inches during the next 3 months.   Seattle gets about 36 inches during the entire year.]

Staheli

Hope all is well. Things here are still going well. Have you been published yet? Oh and how was the conference.

Reed

Have fun driving. Be safe. Mom sent a picture of your car. It looks pretty nice. Don't break it. ha ha

 

To Everyone

Let’s see. I forgot to tell you that we got a new car too. We got a Hundi Tuscon wagon. 2013. It is pretty nice. It is fun to drive. Let’s see what else… Oh yeah C*rding. The Filipino, is not actually legally married to anyone in the Philippines any more. I guess his second wife was just some form of a local marriage. So he is getting very close to being baptized. I am super excited for him. His comes to church every Sunday and is wearing a white shirt and tie. We are still teaching the chief and his family. Slowly. We try and have sit down lessons, but they are just super busy. It is more of just a stop by and quick lesson. The wife and the oldest son believe the Book of Mormon is true, and that Joseph was a prophet. So that is really really good. I am stoked about them. Someday it will all come together for them.

There was a huge fire up in Maap. It was crazy. The fire men were there. Both of the trucks. It was crazy. I had to drive through the smoke. I recorded a video. You will get it some time. It was a crazy fire. That is about it that is new here.

I love you guys so so much.
You are the best family anyone could ask for.
Love Elder Meyer

No idea what that food item is...



No comments:

Post a Comment