Sunday, June 23, 2013

Letter from Elder Meyer: Lots of pictures. Chief's wife.

Hello Everyone. Hope you guys are all doing well.


Dad

So I got on this morning and it turns out that you didn't get my email last week. I am very sorry. about that. Well, Happy Father’s day. 

Question 1: Do the kind people on Yap celebrate Father's Day.  If so, any particular way?

Answer: Nope. Not really. The only person who said anything at church was Elder Garrett. No one else said anything about it.

Question 2: Do the youth on the island generally show respect to the older generations?

Answer: Yes, the younger people show respect to the older people.



Question 3: Do you think the scripture sets we sent are actually being read?

Answer: Yes. To the people that I see, they are being used. One guy particularly comes to mind. S*muel. He is preparing to go on a mission in a couple of years. He uses his set of scriptures a lot.

Question 4: When you become a dad, are there certain traditions or patterns that you want to make sure happens in your home?

Answer: Family Scripture study, family prayer, and trips to the temple regularly.


Mom


It sounds like Young Women’s camp was really fun. It normally is though, right? You got stung by a bee? You are allergic to them right? Are you okay?

Question 5: Is there such a thing as Young Women’s Camp or Boy Scouts on Yap?

Answer: There used to be. A white couple, or two, used to live on the island. They were members and got scouts rolling for the youth. So that is what I want to do when I come back. The scouts would go camping a couple times a month. There was a lot going on.



Question 6: Did you get grandma's rolls?

Answer: Yes, and they were amazing.

Question 7: Describe one interaction you had with a youth this week.

Answer: For the youth activity, we played volleyball. It was pretty fun. We got a couple of others people to come, so it was really good.





Question 8: How do you encourage the people you are teaching to read the Book of Mormon?

Answer: I tell them what it means to me and also read from the Book of Mormon with them and help them understand how it can help them.



Question 9: Are you still in Thool?

Answer: Yes. Transfers are this week. So it is up in the air where I will be soon. I could go down to Colonia or stay in Thool or even off the island, but I hope that doesn't happen.



Question 10: Where does the 3rd set of missionaries serve?

Answer: The Colonia area was split into two. So there is a set of walking missionaries that take in the city.

Question 11: Tell me one interesting thing that happened at church this week.

Answer: Well, the branch president didn't show up till 10:30, so church didn't start until then. Then someone who was supposed to talk didn't show, so I was asked to talk right before sacrament started. And the road to the church was flooded. It was pretty crazy.

Staheli

Hope you are doing great. Was your name published yet?

Reed

How is driving going? What are your plans for summer?

 

To everyone

Let’s see, what to say. My mind is drawing a blank. Not a lot happened this week. We are still meeting with C*rding. We just need to have them actually get officially married. Then he can be baptized. He is doing really good. I really enjoy talking with him. It is hard though, because his English isn’t so great and he speaks Tagalog, not Yapese. So it is interesting.

We had a wonderful lesson with the chief's wife. She is very interested and really wants to be baptized. She is just not sure when it can happen. We taught the Plan of Salvation. I did it in Yapese. It is the hardest lesson to teach in Yapese. She understood it all. She is really interested. I really love teaching her. It is really great practice for my Yapese, as well. She strictly talks to me in Yapese. It is super cool. Most people will talk to me in English because I am American. It is hard to practice Yapese here.

We picked up a new investigator yesterday. I was not sure who we should see yesterday. So we went to a less active lady who we have been helping. She was not there, but her grandson was. He is a member. We talked with him for a while and we were getting ready to leave, then I just felt like I needed to talk to his grandma. The less active lady.. So he took us to where she was. There was another older lady with her. We started talking with them and now we are going to teach the other lady with the help of the less active lady. It is going to be great. I am very excited for it.

There was a local dance that I went to. It was pretty good. You will get the video someday. I knew, and have taught 3 of the people who were dancing. It was pretty fun to watch.



I think that is about it for this week. You guys are the best family in the world. (Gamed ea thabi' mangil tibinaw u dakean ea fayleng.) I love you guys so so much. (Guba adag ngomed)

Love
Elder Meyer

 
Big fire on the island


No comments:

Post a Comment