Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Letter from Elder Meyer: Earned the Yapese language Mastery. New companion is from Fiji (Q7).



Letter to Everyone

Guess what… I got my language mastery. It is sweet. I got a cool certificate. It is awesome. Tueller got his too. We are the first language masters on Yap in like 4 years. 

Well, this week was good. We had only 9 people at church yesterday. But our branch president made it, so it was great. J*hnny, our investigator came. He is going to be baptized on Aug 24, during the youth camp. It should be great. I am so excited about it. I can't wait for him to be baptized. He is a great guy.





We got a new investigator when we were teaching J*ohnny. It is his sister. Their parents are pretty strict.
C*rding is doing well. We gave him a blessing last week and he is all better now. So that is good. President Mecham gave us a Book of Mormon challenge to read it by the end of the transfer or September 12 ish. We are supposed to highlight things related to the Atonement, Doctrine of Christ, Gathering of Israel, and Scriptures for our investigators. I am really enjoying this challenge. I am finding a lot of good stuff for my investigators. It is great. I am in 2 Nephi chapter 13. It should be really good. I need to read about 8 chapters a day to finish by the end of the transfer. On top of reading the Book of Mormon in Yapese, 3 chapters a day to finish that one by October 24. It is good and I love that book, i will be glad when I finish the challenges though. 

We had a baptism, it was a child of record… it was pretty good. 

Dad

It is so true that we are not the ones to teach people. We are only there to bring the spirit so that way He can teach. 

Question 1: Out of all the lessons/visits this past week, which was your favorite and why?

Answer: The one where we taught J*hnny. It was great. He is really excited about the gospel and we picked up a new investigator over there. It is his sister. 

Question 2: You often mention just how happy and humble the people are on Yap.  Why do you think they are that way?

Answer: Well, they don't really have a whole lot and the know it. It just makes them humble. 

Question 3:  What did you like most about serving with Elder Hatch?

Answer: He really was a good cook. He was also a good teacher. 

Question 4: Have you tried any new food items lately?

Answer: Banana flower. It is pretty good. Elder Ramiterre made it for me. It was great. I guess it is supposed to be really healthy for you. 





Question 5: What put the biggest smile on your face this past week?

Answer: Umm. J*hnny, my investigator is going to be baptized on the 24th. He came to church on Sunday which made me smile. 

Mom

I will pray that you will finish your Masters. I know you can do it. 10 hours in a day is a lot. I know that it can be done. 

Question 6: Do you do anything in the water?  Can you go on a boat?

Answer: We can, but we need to have President Mecham's permission. I just go and put my feet in the water
.

Question 7: How is your new companion?  Tell what you know about him.


Answer: He is really good. He is from Fiji. He is a good Elder. He doesn't really know how to cook, so I do most of that. He has a really good testimony. 

Question 8:  Is it unusual to be in Thool so long?

Answer: Well, not really. I have been there the longest of the missionaries on Yap for a long time. At the end of this transfer I will have spent 8 ½ months up there. 


Question 9: Tell me something unique that happened at church today.


Answer: My branch president showed up. He has not been there in a couple of weeks. There were 9 people there and we had an investigator. 



Question 10: It seems like people on the island are anxious to move off the island. Is that true?

Answer: Well, for the lower cast people yes. For the higher cast people, it is not as big of a deal. 


Question 11: How has your day to day activities changed with a different companion?


Answer: I cook more. Besides that,, not a whole lot. It is the same area and things go about the same. 





Staheli - Hope you are doing well. School is starting for Reed. Are you starting soon?

Reed - have fun it school. I know how much you like that. That is cool that you went riding. President Brown is a really really good rider. He has been riding for a long time. 



Well that is about it. Not a whole lot has changed. 
I love you guys so so much. You are the best family every.

Love Elder Meyer


No comments:

Post a Comment