Sunday, April 21, 2013

Letter from Elder Meyer: Answers how he feels about the people of Yap Island (Q4). Creating an Island-wide testimony book (Q7). Conducted Sacrament meeting (Q8). Reading to an older man. Should he learn Woleian + Yapese?


Hello Everyone. How are you guys doing?



Well, I realized that I hit my ten mark months on like Saturday. I can't believe that I have been gone for that long. It feels like I got here a week ago.

Dad

That would be really good for you to win that deal. You could start seeing grandma and grandpa more often. Sounds like you really enjoyed conference. I am excited to watch it someday. I have not heard when I will get it though. Could be a little while.

Question 1: You said you really didn't knock doors in Yap… how exactly; again, do you make contact with people in their homes?

Answer: Well, I just stand outside next to the hut and yell "Hello" and they come out and talk to me or hide in the bushes. Once they see me, if they are Yapese, I say "Rayog ni ngu bow?" Which means " Can we come?" Then they normally let us in.


Pig Intrils Cooked In Blood
Source: Senior CES couple on the Island


Question 2: I’m still listening to one church talk almost every day.  I recently enjoyed a talk about counseling together.  Does the branch have capabilities and/or traditions that allow for good ward councils?

Answer: Well, the “villages” still have meetings, but the church doesn't really seem to function the same way here. You are supposed to have Ward Council and PEC and other meetings, but we don’t really have those here. It is too bad, because I know that really helps missionary work. So, what I do is just talk to the Branch President about people we are seeing.

Question 3: Reed and I will be participating in a challenging campout in the foothills (just clothes on our back and a knife) this coming Fri/Sat… should be fun.  Looking back, do you have a most memorable young men’s experience that you feel was helpful in preparing for a mission?

Answer: I am not sure if there is just one experience. I think that all of them together helped me prepare for my mission. Whether it was a scout camp, merit badges, or a priest leader at encampment… I think that all of the different types of camping and scout activities helped me prepare.

Question 4:  Can you share how you feel about the Yapese people and culture… not just the members, but the entire area?

Answer: Honestly, I absolutely love it. There is nowhere else in the world like it here. I promise. I love the people so so much. Not just the members. The culture is just so so interesting to me. In my patriarchal blessing it says that I will be inspired by languages, cultures and societies. I am definitely finding that to be true. I am not sure if I ever want to leave this people. They are so wonderful. I will at some point in my life live on this island again! Pretty much the only thing that would keep me from raising a family here is the poor education they would get. Besides that, I would raise my family here. I really love the people here. I hope you guys understand what I am saying. I can't really find the words to express how I feel about them.


Mom

This week was a little bit longer than the rest of them, but it is no big deal. The restoration is my favorite thing to teach. At the beginning of my mission, I was not very bold about the restoration. But know, I say "the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored" with boldness. I hope you enjoyed teaching it as much as I do. Do the Book of Mormon challenge. Give them things to highlight like Atonement, Doctrine of Christ and Names of the Savior. I have given that exact challenge to many of the less active members. I think it helps. It makes it so much more meaningful. You can pick your own ones to highlight, but I would suggest Atonement as one of them. That is cool about the temple recommends. I think it is a great idea.

Question 5: How is the work in Thol?

Answer: It is slow, but we are starting to make it go faster, I hope and pray.

Question 6: Tell me one funny thing that happened this week.

Answer:  I have started to say ‘heck yeah’ a lot in a really deep voice. . Just when I am talking with people, not during the lessons. And then I get some of the locals to say it. It is so funny to hear them finally try and say it in a deep voice. I love it. It makes me laugh every time. Now a lot of people are saying it now. It is super funny.

Also during our district meeting, some SDA kids came over and said that they had an assignment to find out what other religions believe. They knocked on our door. We talked for a long time answering questions they had, and explaining what we believe. It was really cool.




Question 7: Share a time when you felt the spirit talking to you this week.

Answer: Actually just last night. I was thinking of something that I could do for the people here. The Spirit reminded me of a time back home where every member wrote down their testimony and the ward compiled it and made a book. I feel like that would really help the people here, so I got out of bed and wrote the idea down so I wouldn't forget. I want to do this for the whole island. Get as many testimonies as I can and put a picture of the person next to it, and print and give everyone who wrote their testimony in it a copy. So, here is my question, if I get all the testimonies and pictures, can you print them out and bind them? I have access to a computer and can type out the testimonies and put a picture next to it so it is less work on your end. Just and idea I had.

Question 8:  What did you do in church yesterday - talk, teach, or listen?

Answer: Actually, I conducted sacrament meeting. Our branch president didn't make it to church and the 2nd counselor of the district president was the only other leader there, and he didn't want to conduct. So I conducted and he presided. It was crazy.

Staheli

The other day I was looking around and there were so many dogs. I couldn't believe it. None of them were even close to as nice and cute as your little puppy Sage is. Then, it just made me think of you. I hope you are doing great. I sure love you and miss you.

Reed

Sorry that you ankle is not getting any better. I hope that it will start to get better soon. I have been pretty lucky to not have any bad things happen to me. How is school going for you? Dad said that you guys are going on a Priest vs Wild. That sounds fun, make sure to tell me all about it.

To Everyone

Well, I feel like I have shared pretty much everything that has happened this week with you guys already. We have got a couple new people we are teaching. Th*nfan is his name. He is an older guy. He has been confused his whole life from all of the different churches. We had a pretty good discussion. He can't read because he is so sick, he could hardly talk. I am just going to go over and read with him and talk with him. I think he has been sick for a long time and no one has taken the time to talk with him and help him out. So I want to do so. He may never get baptized, but at least I will help him get closer to Jesus Christ.

We are still teaching Chr*s, we are teaching his wife now too. They have 4 kids. Their youngest daughter is very cute. She is like 3 or 4. Really nice family. D*rlene is the wife. She has been taught many times before. They are doing really good. We had President Mathew teach with us this last time. He was a big help. We talked about the Plan of Salvation. It was great because Pres Mathew just went to the temple. It was fantastic.

Right now I am a little confused about what language I should learn. I am in Thool, where there are a lot of outer islanders. They speak Woleian. I have been learning Yapese. I am really just know beginning to understand Yapese. Things are just beginning to click, but I almost feel as if I should switch to Woleian. I really don't know what to do. I don't what to give up Yapese, but Woleian is a lot easier and no one on the island is learning it. So I am confused.

Well that is about it. I am sending home some audio and SD card of pics today. I hope you guys get it soon. I love you all so so much.  You are the best family in the world

Love Elder Meyer


No comments:

Post a Comment