Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Letter from Elder Meyer: Loves coconut. Baptism. Yap Games. Fire alarm. Conducted Sacrament meeting again.

Hello Everyone. I always start with that. Maybe I will switch it up. 

Ke urogumed boech tibinaw Rog? (How are you guys doing my family?)

Things here are going pretty well. Some very exciting news to share... Not in my area, but in my old area. But we will get there later.

Clearing the volleyball area

Dad

I am so glad that you enjoyed the pictures. I plan on reliving my mission through the pictures and videos I take, for the rest of my life. Hope you guys have fun on Encampment. I really enjoyed those trips. They are so much fun. You are bringing the boat? That should be fun. I am sad that Sister Brown has passed away. Let President Brown know that he and his family are in my prayers. 

Question 1: How are things going with those that have been baptized over the past year?

Answer: They are doing great. Most of them; that is. I only get to work with a couple of them because most of them are in the other area. But I really keep in touch with A*gistine and his family. They are doing good. They have hit a couple of rough patches, but we are helping them to make sure they come out on top. They both love the scripture sets. 

Question 2: On some of the video, I heard a ton of bird sounds. Are they continuous?

Answer: Yeah. When you are just walking through the jungle, you hear a lot of bird noise. If you are more in the city, or in a village with a lot of people, there are less of them. 

Question 3: How many lessons have you been able to teach this past week?

Answer: This week we taught 19 lessons. We were very close to the goal of 20. It is just tough, especially in this area. Most of what is planned falls through, but we just keep pushing along. 

Question 4: I can’t believe you love coconut so much. That’s not what the person who left named Johnny Meyer would have said. Are there good recipes or ways to prepare coconut that we can try?

Answer: ha-ha. You don't really prepare a coconut. You just crack it open and drink it. Then split it open and eat the meat. If you do get your hands on a young un-husked coconut, that is the best way to prepare it. For the older ones, they are more common in the states. You can still drink the juice in side. But with all the meat inside you can spread it up and make coconut milk to cook with. You put coconut milk on taro. Oh that is very good. 

Question 5: Can you describe how one of your favorite teaching moments went this week?

Answer: I would have to say it was with S*lvester. We were talking about prayer and then moved to temples. He and his wife, and their kids, have not been to the temple yet. We started talking about him going with his family. I just simple shared my testimony of the temple and the ordinances preformed there. The spirit was there and they are going to prepare to go on the next trip. It is great.

Mom

I didn't extend my mission. The MTC extended my mission because they scheduled the new missionaries arriving here. I am not sad about it though. Ha ha.

Question 6: Do you eat fish?

Answer: I do when members give it to me. I don’t go and buy it though. It is so much better than the fish that we have in the states. It tastes so much better. I don't know what it is, it is just better. 


Question 7: Describe the scene as you look out your apartment window. 


Answer: Well, you see my car. You see a big guava tree, and across the dirt road you see the jungle. And in the jungle is where some people live. If you look to your left you see more jungle. To the right is a small house that you can see through the jungle and behind my house is a village in the jungle. I really live in the middle of nowhere.


Front of home.


Question 8: Describe a time when you felt directed by the spirit this week. 


Answer: We are trying to work with a member on finding the less actives. We are working with him because he knows where everyone is. Well, we try seeing him a lot, and he is almost never there. So after a lesson, I really felt like we need to go see him. So we went over and he was there. I was very happy. We wanted to go out with him then, but he couldn't. So we scheduled a time when we will come back. I hope he is there this time, but at least we made contact with him. 


Question 9: What happens at transfers?

Answer: If someone is leaving the island, we will get a call Tuesday morning the AP's will say you are leaving, get on the plane tonight. Then we pack everything and leave. If no one is leaving the island, we get a call Wednesday night. They tell us who is a companion with whom, and in what areas. Then we bring our stuff to District Meeting and make the switch. 


Staheli

Sounds like you are home in Chico. Or you were on Saturday. Hope that it was fun. Have you been published yet???? It is summer there, so are you in school now, or are you taking a little break? Love you

Reed

So you are leaving tomorrow for encampment. I hope you have a fun safe trip. Let me know all about it next week. 

To Everyone

Alright… the exciting news this week. We had a baptism. It was for Alv*ra. This is the mom of L*nda, who was baptized in February. It was a really nice service. We found Alv*ra when we first talked to L*nda back in January. We taught Alv*ra until the end of March when I moved up to Thool. I have kept in contact with them, and now she is finally baptized. I was very excited. She is a wonderful older lady. I am so very happy for her. Honestly that is the most exciting thing that has happen.


Baptism


C*rding is still on track to be baptized. We are still waiting for his wife to get a divorce so they can be married. I hope all that happens very soon. I can't wait for him to be baptized.

Let’s see what else is new... Ummm. We are going to go see the chief and his wife again this week. We stop by quite often, but to have a sit down lesson is a big big deal there. So I am very excited about that. I am teaching everything in Yapese. It is really a lot of fun. I wish more people would force us to speak Yapese. It would make it a lot easier to learn the language. I have been told that Yapese is the 3rd hardest in the world. I don't know if that is true or not, but it most certainly could be.

Something that we are really trying to do now is find the very less actives on the island. There are a lot of them. The hard part is finding them. We are doing our best to work with the members that know where the live. There used to be about 50 people at the Thol branch every week. Now we have around 10. Yesterday there were 7.

I conducted and presided over sacrament meeting. It was interesting. I gave a talk on the fly again. Like Ii did last week. And luckily the other two people asked to speak showed up. It is not too bad conducting a sacrament meeting. I am assuming it is a little bit scarier when there are more than 10 people attending though. haha. 
Conducting sacrament meeting



Part of why this week was slow is because Yap Games is going on. All the villages have a team. Tomil, Gagil, Ramung, Fanif. etc. and they compete against each other in different sports. Basketball, soccer, baseball, track and field, ping pong, tennis, and volleyball. So we had to go and see how good this people are at basketball. They are pretty good. I went in and watched for a little while. It was pretty fun. It made me miss basketball.

While the game was going someone pulled the fire alarm. No one exited the building though. Everyone just sat there assuming it was a false alarm. It was in the middle of the championship game. It was really funny just to sit there and watch no one move. I will be excited once Yap Games are over. More people will be home again. It will be over this week. 

That is all. 
I love you all so so much. You are indeed the best family in the entire world. 

Love Elder Meyer




No comments:

Post a Comment