Sunday, March 31, 2013

Letter from Elder Meyer: Quick trip to Guam, Flyers for Easter event,


Hello Everyone

Sounds like you guys had a crazy week. Pomegranates are gone!!?!?! Wow, I didn't think that would happen.

[Note from Dad: Found a picture of Elder Meyer going to Guam to pickup a new companion.  There are now 4 Elder on the Island of Yap.]
New trainers in the March transfer. Front: Elder Rainey, Elder Vance, Elder Meyer, Elder Allen, Elder Ashcraft. Middle: Elder Peck, Elder Gasu, Elder Huppe, Elder Fullmer, Sister Awes, Sister Piukala, Sister Vaigaly, Sister Masiasomua. Back: Elder Holt, Elder Richardson, Elder Cook, Elder Gardner.


Dad

I hope your arm will be okay. Did Reed tie your tie for you and flick you in the face like you did to him? Crooked rows dad?  I can't imagine you being happy with that. I bet if I was there they wouldn't be so crooked. ha-ha. That is really good that you guys are reading from Preach My Gospel, it is a very good book to study from.

Question #1: Have callings been issued yet to the new members?

Answer: There are only about two of them who have received callings. Some of them are losing interest.

Question #2: When you think back over the years as a family and we did church related things (scouts, home teaching, service, church history trip, temple visits, etc…) is there anything in particular that especially stands out as a great memory and something you are really glad we did, and why?

Answer: Our temple trip week is probably one of my favorite things, because I don't get to go too the temple at all. I also really loved the church history trip because when I share my testimony about the First Vision, I can say that I was there. It is a great addition to my testimony.

Question #3: What does it mean to you, personally, to have been “born in the covenant” as compared to being a convert

Answer:  It is just a great blessing I think. To have grown up in the church, to have it be a part of my life since I was born, is a blessing within itself.  I am just lucky to have had that spirit with me my whole life.

Mom


It is crazy that you guys tore out the pomegranates. All that hard work was just ripped out.  Tell Kashmir that her calling is awesome and that she is going to love the people there.

Question 4: Packages update?

Answer: Have not gotten mail today. But we got the one for the two other elders. They were very thankful.

Question 5: Explain church - how many people are there? Do all the members take turns talking and teaching?

Answer: In Colonia, there are around 40ish that are there. It works just the same as anywhere else, just a little bit slower. The members talk every week. And there is a Sunday school teacher who teaches every week. And we missionaries fill in the gaps when people need help.

Question 6: When does President Mecham come to Yap Island again?

Answer: He will come at the end of April for a district conference.

Question 7:  Tell me the funniest thing that happened this week?

Answer: On Saturday we split up. I went with Elder Garrett and Elder Tueller and Ramiterre were together. I stayed down in Colonia and the other two went to Thool. We spent the whole day passing out flyers for the district Easter party. Well, Elder Garrett is just a funny guy. I can't explain his personality. I was with him for like 6 or so hours. It was just a fun day. The other two Elders finished a little bit early and didn't come down to take some of the people we were passing flyers out to. It was just a crazy day..

Question 8: What is something you brought that you wish you had left home?

Answer: Maybe my rain jacket. I never use that thing.
[Note from Dad: In September, it rained around 17 inches in one month. The average rainfall for Seattle during the entire year is around 36 inches. Yap Island low temperature shown below…]




Question 9: What is something you wish you had brought, but you didn't?

Answer: Maybe a jacket. I get a little chilly sometimes.

[Note from Dad: What will he do when he returns to Rexburg, Idaho?   Jan/Dec averages a low of 13 degrees]


Question 10:  How is the language?

Answer: It is still hard. I am able to say a little bit more now, though. Some of the stuff is making more sense, but understanding people is still quite a challenge.

Staheli

Hope you are doing well. Did you know about the whole pomegranate to almond change? Did you have to help did all those holes? I love you.

Reed

Sounds like you did a number on your motorcycle. I hope that it will be up and running soon. Sounds like you had a party. Was it fun?

To Everyone

Well nothing super new over here on Yap. Things are going a little bit slow. We found a new investigator. His name is T*no. He has never been taught before. I found him when I was passing out all those flyers with Elder Garrett. I am excited to go and teach him. I think that he is going to be great. Other people we are teaching. Alv*ra and M*cheal. They disappeared for a while. We just found them again. I still have high hopes for them.

Oh yeah, we got a new investigator and lost him in the same day. His name is R*chy. He was a great investigator. We had a wonderful lesson. S*m was there and it was just a great lesson. I really loved it. Well, as soon as we left he got in trouble. His whole family is Baptist and they were not happy that he was meeting with us. So we can't go back there anymore. He is only 14 years old, so we cannot teach him for a while. It is really too bad. I don't know why, but the Baptist people here dislike us. It is a little ridiculous.
That is about it.

I love you guys so so much. You are the best family in the whole world.

Love, Elder Meyer



No comments:

Post a Comment