Monday, March 4, 2013

Letter from Elder Meyer: Visitors are on the island for the big YAP Day Celebration.


Hello Everyone,

Sorry internet isn't so good today, letter will be a little bit shorter.
This was a pretty good week. It was Yap Day. It is the biggest holiday on Yap. There were so many tourists and so many people. I had no idea that there was this many people on Yap. Anyways more on that later.


How Stone Money was brought to the Island of Yap

Click here to listen to A short NPR broadcast on Stone Money in Yap


Dad

Things must be going well in the spy business :-)   About your purchase of a new personal computer.  If I was home, I can guarantee that you would not have bought a PC. I should throw a machete at it.  And Windows 8 is a joke. You guys are falling apart without me :-)  You told me you would never buy a PC again. “Ga ba e tabaenbaen”. (you told a fib)… Love you  :-)
[Note: Elder Meyer is a huge Apple fan and not very excited about PCs.]

Question 1: Can you describe a typical day?
Answer:  I can. It is nothing special
·         6:30am to 7:00am exercise.
·         7:00am – 8:00am get ready for the day
·         8:00am - 9 :00am personal scripture study
·         9:00am – 10:00am companion scripture study
·         10:00am – 11:00am language study
·         11:00am – 12:00pm lunch
·         12:00pm – 5:00pm teach
·         5:00pm – 6:00pm dinner
·         6:00pm – 9:00pm teach
·         9:00pm - 10:30pm get ready for bed.
·         Repeat. Every day is the same.

Question 2: How many lessons did you teach this past week.
Answer: Around 25

Question 3: Did you like that booklet we put together with everyone’s pictures/testimony in it?
Answer: Yes that was really awesome. I loved reading everyone's testimonies.

Question 4: Have any of the new converts received callings in the branch yet?
Answer: Yes, M*rtha was called to work in the primary and Ann*e was called to work in the Young Women. That is the only two recent converts with a calling. There are a lot more who still need a calling.



Question 5: Have you learned something found in the Book of Mormon that you find memorable?
Answer: I am sure I have. Nothing comes to mind right now, but studding the book in a different language is really interesting. For example, the word “they” in English could mean 2 or 3 or 4 or more people. But in Yapese, there are different words for 1, 2 and 3 or more people. So, you always know how many people are included in the conversation. Also, things do not directly translate, so when you read it in Yapese it comes out a little bit different. You pick up on new things.

Mom

I loved when we are able to go too the temple together, that was so so fun. You are so lucky to be able to go now. That is cool that there are so many missionaries getting ready to leave. What are the chances of one of them coming to Yap?  ha ha. Love you.

Question 6: Did you get a package?  What was in it?
Answer: Not today, maybe on Wednesday

Question 7: Have you gotten Elder Ramitere's shoes?
Answer: Not yet. He is very excited for them

Question 8: Are there new missionaries in your mission?
Answer: Not yet. We are supposed to be getting around 11 at the end of this month. So hopefully soon.

Question 9: Is there still just the 3 of you on Yap?
Answer: Yes.

Question 10: Did you do anything interesting on prep-day?
Answer: Not really. We have done pretty much everything. I am looking for new place to go, but the island is only so big.

Question 11: Tell about church yesterday. Who talked?  Anything interesting happen?
Answer: It was fast and testimony meeting. So it was really good. The two sisters who are leaving for a mission soon bore their testimony during Sacrament meeting. M*rtha was given a calling yesterday. After Sacrament, I usually encourage about 15 people from leaving too early. That is what I do. I go and stand by the door and if people are ready to leave, I persuade them to stay for Sunday school.

Question 12: What are you thinking of bringing home as a remembrance of Yap?
Answer: I have got a lot of stuff that I am planning on bringing home. Lava lavas, grass skirt, wood carvings. license plates, Mini man-house, shirts, and anything else that I can think of.

Question 13: Tell me one time you have had your prayers answered lately.
Answer: I always pray for my recent converts that they will continue to come to church and that they will have strength to continue to endure to the end. And on Sunday there were so many of them here. It was really nice. I love to see them coming.

Question 14: Any baptisms?
Answer: Not this week. We should have a couple for the end of this month.


Staheli

How you doing. I have a question for you. For yours and Kate’s lava lava. The main colors are green and purple and the other green and blue. I need 2 more colors for each that will be just small lines. Any ideas. Love ya

Reed

That is cool about the suit. I am not even sure what my suit looks like any more. I might come home in a different one. ha ha. Love you.

To Everyone


Dances performed for Yap Day.

Elder Meyer and a Yapese Gentleman

Little Yapese Girl dressed in native dance attire
Let’s see… We don't have any new investigators. We actually lost a couple. Their parents won’t let them be baptized. One, T*ning M*yo. She has come to church 3 weeks in a row. It is awesome. She will most likely be baptized this month. She has questions about the Book of Mormon, which is good and normal. So, it is going well with her. D*rlynn can't be baptized now. I am really sad about that. We are going to keep trying though.

Alright, Yap Day. So at Yap Day, there are competitions between villages like husking coconut and climbing betelnut trees and basket weaving and things like that. Then there was a lot of local dances. It was really awesome. I loved seeing them all. I find them all so so interesting. There were so many little girls who had learned the dances. It was so fun to see them dance. I took a lot of video. I am going to buy the Yap Day video too. I will send home my memory card soon.

Alright got to go.

Love you guys so so much
Love Elder Meyer









No comments:

Post a Comment